This weekend kicked off the upcoming holiday festivities with Turkey Fest 2009! I think I did the smart thing this year and waited to fly out on Thursday morning. Every other year when I've tried to fly out Wednesday night whether for Thanksgiving or the Christmas holiday it has resulted in multiple hour delays or diverted train rides to Philadelphia to fly out. This year everything was so smooth it felt too good to be true!
Thursday night was the official feast and when I got home, everyone was prepared to contribute to the making of the meal! I was a little surprised when I heard some of the dishes that were a part of the Porter Woo turkey feast...particularly the guacamole and the dumplings...but I guess that's what makes us unique! I would say it's a representation of our heritage, but last I heard we didn't have any Hispanic descendants, despite often being confused for this nationality!
Dinner was sooo good and needless to say it was successful as I spent the rest of the evening in the prone position with a sufficient food comma and promptly went to be at 9PM. Sadly there wasn't even room for dessert...no worries, breakfast was pretty good the next day if you get my drift ;)!
Friday I took it easy with the family; going for a run with Curtis, lounging around the house, and setting up the Christmas tree! This is the first of two trees I will be putting up this year. Jon and I are going to get a real tree in NYC which I'm excited about! I think after these 2 I might be able to go pro, I wonder if there's a market for that...there's apparently at least a market for having your tree brought to you and installed (tree delivery....only in NYC)!
Chicago Tree!
After building up an appetite from setting up the tree, I met up with my friends Cynthia and Ameena for dinner at Joy Yee's Noodle Shop in Evanston...yumm! It was so nice catching up with them, because I definitely don't seen them enough, especially over some delicious bubble teas!
So good!
Saturday started off with a family trip to Costco...it's been a while since I've been in one of these warehouses and I still get such a kick out of some of the gigantic quantity/sizes of what they sell. For example the gigantic container of mayo, the extra large bag of frozen fish, or the gigantic melons we discovered in the produce section!
They were so heavy
(but I can still hold them up w/one hand...I am jacked)
I made chocolate chip cookies later that day to take for dessert as we were going over to my friend's Becky's families house for dinner! This was the first time our whole families have been together in years...it was so crazy to see how much everyone had changed, but mostly our younger sibs!
Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookies!
It was another successful Thanksgiving break: no one burned the house down or the turkey! This year, as with every year, I am thankful for my amazing family and friends!

.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment