Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Mama mia it's a pizza party!

Jon and I decided to let the creative juices flow this weekend...if you don't use them you'll lose them (and there's not much using them when it comes to our day to day jobs)!

On Sunday we decided to make homemade pizza! We weren't crazy enough to make our own dough, but we did have to turn it from a gigantic ball into some semblance of a circular pizza shape! Jon was in charge of this task, and given that I don't think Chicago style deep dish could ever be replicated by anyone other than the professionals we made what I would refer to as medium crust. Jon's technique was unique, not that I think I could have done any better, but it got the job done. Let me highlight a few of the more interesting methods (all original):
  • Beating the dough Rocky style
  • Rolling out 2 flat pieces of rectangular dough and attaching them down the middle
  • Creating a rectangular, then circular, then square, and finally an oval shaped pizza

Work In Process

We cut up a ton of fresh vegetables and fresh salami and went to town! Needless to say we had fun and it was a pretty healthy way to start the week. I think next time we'll invest in a rolling pin, although that might stunt some of the creative juices :)




Yummy finished product!

Half pepperoni, half veggie...even though I opted for no pepperoni Jon let me pick some off from his side. Sometimes we refer to his meals as the buffet plate :)

2 comments:

  1. Aw this looks like so much fun!! And very very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there. I was at a Williams Sonoma demo and one tip they had for deep dish pizza is to use the special dish instead of a pizza sheet. The thing they used looks like a round cake pan. And if I recall correctly, the Chicago pies are served in a pan, er dish, as well, I think.

    Yours is impressive though. I love tomato slices on pizza - they absorb all the grease.

    ReplyDelete