Monday, August 24, 2009

Beach Bums, Surf & Turf, and Mini Golf!

This past weekend I took a few days off from work and Jon and I went down to the New Jersey beaches for my first "shore" experience. I have to admit when we first talked about this mini vacay, flashes of over greased muscle men and ladies with skin darker then my Michael Kors bag immediately came to mind. I learned these stereotypes exsist, but there's so much more!

We stayed in a cute town called Spring Lake and, despite threatening weather reports due to Hurricane Bill, we managed to luck out and had beautiful beach conditions!




Pretty tree in the neighborhood

The beach, only a block and a half away!


We ate at Black Trumpet our first night and indulged in some surf and turf. I forget what the specials were called or exactly everything that went into them so I created my own names:


"Lobster Amazingness"

"Bigger Then My Face Steak"

For those of you that know me, I have a tendency to get overly excited when eating and at times lose all sense of limitations. I feel bad for Jon, because right now he more than anyone else has to endure the endless "I'm stuffed" or "I'm so full" comments. I'm happy to report this meal was no exception (what else could you expect from a "bigger then my face steak"?)!

It was nice spending Friday and Saturday in the sun (with plenty of SPF!) considering I spend most of the summer inside wearing sweaters or freezing from the intense a/c levels!


Fresh wind blown look....compliments of Bill


We went to the Jenkins Boardwalk for a trip down memory lane for Jon and decided to participate in a little friendly competition. We got there just as the sky's started to look threatening, but decided to try to squeeze in a round of mini golf. At the beginning it was a close game, but I soon fell behind due to a few sneaky holes (those little hills can be very deceiving). With only a few more holes left I was able to close the gap, and for a little bit it even looked like I might make a victorious come back, especially when Jon got stuck in a "rock trap" (I didn't know they had those)...sadly though I couldn't pull through and Jon won! (for now)

After such a grueling game we snacked on cheesessteaks, quesadillas and beers (we are gross), while we waited for the rain to pass.


Mini Golf Champion!


Before the storm...


after...


It was a similar regime on Saturday, except the water was closed to swimmers due to strong undertow's and we went to Edgar's Pub for dinner and drinks, which was the final stop to complete my authentic Jersey shore experience.




This was such a nice getaway from city life and a super fun first shore experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment